Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Crazy old relatives

I wish I could say that most of the people holding onto this lie about our President not being American are old, senile, perhaps still replaying Amos and Andy in their heads, but they are not. Sure, some of them are, but when people pull that lie out of their asses as if they have won an argument, they have actually lost the argument. Yes, our President is not 100% white, and yes, that seems to really freak a lot of people out, and I would say that some of their fear and hatred is so pathological that they aren't even aware of how pathetic and hateful they are, but he was born in the United States. Hawaii was a part of the union when he was born. There. In Hawaii. Maybe they get confused because his father was Kenyan, but following that logic, even though I was born in California, I must have really been born wherever my father was born?
How can I live in a country that is filled with so many people that are full of such hate that they would believe any lie they were told just so they could justify their hatred?
As a white man I will never be able to grasp what any of this means for people on a daily basis, living with the label of 'other' just because of the color of their skin, and, truth be told, just from what I do know, I don't know how people do it, day in and day out.
I am all for disagreeing about policies, disagreeing about how Romneycare was implemented in this country, since, really, 'Obamacare' is Romneycare, disagreeing about deficits and taxes and so many other things, but when hate mongers try to take away the humanity of our President because he isn't 100% white, well, there is nothing to talk about anymore. You can't have a meaningful conversation with people that are so vile.

2 comments:

  1. We all know how well the last campaign to label people as "un-American" went. I am sure wikipedia has an entry on McCarthyism for those of you who think the Titanic was just a ship in a movie and 90210 was a new show that started in the 2000's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are more concerned with Jenny McCarthy than they are with McCarthyism. No one knows their history, and most people wouldn't believe that something like that could ever happen here. Even though it kind of is.

    ReplyDelete