Friday, December 14, 2012

2012, what a great year!

I really have no words that can describe the grief and shock and anger I am feeling. I don't think it can ever be properly processed because I wasn't personally touched by it, not in a 'real' way, but still. There is pain and confusion.
I am confused by the fact that people keep saying guns don't get people, when clearly they do. A gun didn't levitate and start shooting all by itself, but someone used that gun to murder people, and there you go-guns kill people, with the help of people, I suppose, but yes, it was used in the murder of over 25 people today.
BUT, apparently what we need are more guns! More for everyone! Maybe if the children had guns they could have protected themselves? Is that an NRA argument that will be made soon, that from infancy until the grave you should be packing?
Or maybe the whole argument about guns is wrong. Maybe what we should do is outlaw the production of ammunition. You can have all the guns you want, but nothing will shoot out of them. That's a compromise that I could live with.
Do I think that people shouldn't be allowed to have guns for protection if they want them? Of course not. But if someone could explain to me why a person needs a machine gun, what possible purpose it could serve besides slaughtering people, I would be interested in hearing that. Actually that's not true. I don't care what anyone would have to say in regards to that.
Do I think if there were no guns that violence would end? Of course not. I do know that the amount of people killed would be less, and I think less people being murdered is actually a good thing. But I guess, in the end, the guns will win, people will celebrate that they can own weapons that are only designed to murder as many people as possible and as quickly as possible, and that will be that. It's too bad that all of these little children were shot to death today and so many people are so stupid that they don't think guns had anything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment